Press enter to search
The 1 2 3's of

Voter I.D.

Starting in 2023, all voters in North Carolina will be asked to show a photo ID to vote. If you have a North Carolina driver’s license, you’re all set!


Other acceptable forms of ID include:

  • State ID from the NC DMV (also called “non-operator ID”)
  • Driver’s license or non-driver ID from another state, District of Columbia or U.S. territory (only if voter registered in North Carolina within 90 days of the election)
  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport card
  • Military or veteran ID card issued by the U.S. government (good even if it’s expired!)
  • Tribal enrollment card with a photo, issued by a State or federally recognized tribe (good even if it’s expired!)
  • ID card (with photo) issued by an agency of the U.S. government or the State of North Carolina for a public assistance program (Note: Although this is an acceptable form of ID under North Carolina law, the State Board is not aware of any such ID in circulation that contains a photo. All IDs for voting are required to have a photo.)
  • North Carolina voter photo ID card issued by a county board of elections
  • College or university student ID approved by the State Board of Elections
  • State or local government or charter school employee ID approved by the State Board of Elections

Any voter can use an expired ID if it’s expired for one year or less. Voters 65+ can use an expired ID as long as it was unexpired on their 65th birthday.

If you do not have one of these forms of ID, do not worry! Getting a Free Voter ID is as easy as 1, 2, 3 !

That’s it! Voter IDs are free and will be printed on the spot. There is no cost to the voter and no appointment necessary. If you need assistance locating your County’s Board of Election office, call 919.814.0700 or visit for more information.

Can’t make it to your local Board of Elections office? You can also visit your local DMV to receive a state issued identification card. You will need to bring THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:

  • One document verifying your age and identity such as a passport or birth certificate,
  • your Social Security Card or a document proving you have a Social Security Number
  • One document proving your residency such as a utility bill to your current address.

Help Elect Democrats

Volunteer Take Action Donate